We are thrilled to welcome Serial Entrepreneur, NYT Bestselling Author, WSJ Contributor, Angel Investor, TV Personality, Executive Producer, and Mom, Candace Nelson to The Style That Binds Us podcast! Candace is the founder of Sprinkles & most recently, the author of “Sweet Success: A Simple Recipe to Turn your Passion into Profit“. Did you know Sprinkles was the first-ever cupcake bakery? The state of cupcakes when Candace launched Sprinkles was not luxurious or high-quality by any means, and she saw a huge white space in the market she alone could fill. We can’t wait for you to hear about launching and growing Sprinkles, her book and so much more. Listen to the episode on Apple Podcasts & Spotify.
During the episode, we ask Candace questions like:
- Congratulations on your book, “Sweet Success: A Simple Recipe to Turn your Passion into Profit“! We absolutely loved the book and think it is a MUST read and the most incredible manual for entrepreneurs. When did you decide to write your book? Will you walk us through the concept of the book and what you hope readers take away after reading it?
- After graduating college, you experienced being surrounded by peers who knew exactly what they wanted to do with their lives, which wasn’t the case for you. Can you give our listeners advice if they find themselves in the same boat?
- Throughout the years, how did you keep the brand fresh and not lose your passion for the business? Things can be so exciting in the beginning and it is easy to lose yourself or sight of your mission along the way.
- Will you tell our listeners how you came up with the concept for the cupcake ATM/vending machine (Which I myself have thoroughly enjoyed!!!)? And also the Spinklesmobile? Was it really outfitted by the team from MTV’s Pimp My Ride? (This may come as a surprise, but I used to love this show!)
- Walk us through the process of creating new flavors during your Sprinkles days.
- Will you tell us about your experience as a judge on Cupcake Wars and how did it affect your business in a positive way?
- What have you learned from starting your venture capital firm? What companies are you currently excited about? What are some things founders that you’ve invested in are thinking about/challenges they are facing?
- As you became the face of the brand, it was important for you to look the part. We loved this portion of the book due to the nature of our business, and are wondering if you can walk us through how you developed your personal style to best represent your company.
- We love a family business and that your husband Charles is your business partner. What is your favorite thing about working with him?
- What was your favorite part about building Sprinkles?
- Building a business can be a serious grind. How did you stay sane during the high-growth periods?
- What’s next for you?
- Where can people find you?
Want to try Pizzana?
Alison + Delia