I think we can all agree that age is just a number, and when it comes to fashion, there is no expiration date on style. It is not bound by youth; it is a timeless art that can be embraced at any age. In this newsletter, we are exploring how we can continue to exude confidence and sophistication through our fashion choices over 40, while still feeling comfortable in our clothes. So let’s dive in!
- Embrace timeless classics: Classics never go out of style. A well tailored blazer, a crisp white button-down shirt or turtleneck, a cashmere sweater, or a little black dress are essentials that can be styled for any occasion. Invest in quality over quantity in styles that fit your body type AND your style aesthetic- choosing pieces made from quality materials like silk, cashmere, leather, suede, velvet and wool that will stand the test of time.
- Play with color: Don’t shy away from it. Rich jewel tones, pastels, and vibrant hues can add a modern feel to your wardrobe. Keep in mind that it’s important to choose a color, especially on your top half, that brings a glow to your face (if you don’t know what colors work best for you, we can do a quick color analysis in person or even over Zoom/ FaceTime to find out, simply reply to this newsletter for more details).
- Accessories can elevate any outfit- a statement necklace, a silk scarf, special earrings can all completely transform your look. On this note, I suggest getting out your nice jewelry and WEARING IT! What are you waiting for?
- Perfect the fit: tailoring is your best friend. Make sure that your clothes fit you impeccably. Pay attention to details, like hem length, sleeve length, and waistline to create a flattering silhouette. Shortening a sleeve can make a shirt/dress/jacket look an entire size smaller. If your jacket is touching the tips of your fingers, get it shortened so it doesn’t look like you are wearing your grandfather’s coat!
- Get creative with your wardrobe – switch things up and mix and match separates to create new looks. Try a blazer with jeans and a cozy sweater under the jacket, rather than the nice pants, silk blouse and skirt you normally pair it with. Have fun with this, there are no rules, at our age we know that what makes us feel happy is what’s important. If you feel good, you look good!
- Comfort matters: Comfort is key. Choose Fabrics that feel good against the skin and opt for shoes that provide support like Ally shoes. We are so thrilled to have a discount code for this brand (Ally is our current obsession and the shoes come in sizes 4-12, and widths from Narrow to Extra Wide!). Use Ally code ALISON40 on their website for $40 off your first pair of heels!
Remember, that true style knows no age limit, and the most beautiful thing you can wear is self-confidence.
One of the dominant trends for fall 2023 (seen everywhere from St Laurent to Versace and beyond) is “Quiet Luxury”.
Here are some pieces you might like if you are a fan of this understated elegant style at various prices. You can read our complete Fall ‘23 attend Report here