What is the reason for this & how to make it go away??
Stress tummy is a term I coined to explain the tight feeling I often have in my stomach. The main reason for this is my Type A personality. I experienced this during high school while eating breakfast thinking about the day ahead, but didn’t know what it was or how to describe. Now it happens when I know I have A LOT of tasks to accomplish; or if I only give myself a certain amount of time to do something, and am rushing to finish a magazine, catch up on emails, etc. This is not a sleep-inducing state, so I’ve had to train myself over the years to make it go away. Below are some tips/tricks to rid yourself of this feeling:
- Read a book (that doesn’t have to do with career or whatever I’m thinking about)
- Talking to someone about a different subject. Once I stop thinking about the stress, this feeling goes away more quickly
- Take a workout class
- Deep breaths!
- Cup of tea (coffee only makes it worse and makes me more hyper/jittery)
- Give myself a pep talk that I will be able to complete the necessary tasks and still have time leftover (this usually is the case)
- Don’t let myself quickly scroll through social media, because this only increases the feeling
- Shower and masking for some self-care
- Light your favorite candle